Friday, March 04, 2005

Commitments

I am a spectacularly untidy person, useless at long-term planning (or any other planning for that matter), utterly disorganized, generally forgetful, usually late and mostly disheveled in appearance.

But when I make a commitment, I will honor it. This sounds like a good thing, right?
Especially when I am married, with children, a job and trying to get into graduate school.

But it can get a bit annoying when applied indiscriminately across the board, even to small things:

when I cook something, I’ll eat it even if it’s unpalatable;
when I start a book, I will finish it even if I hate it;
when I go to a movie, I’ll watch it to the end;
when I start a knitting project, I will finish it, even if I do not enjoy working on it!

Knitting wise, this happens every once in a while. This time the culprit is the Red Scarf. I still like the pattern (Midwest Moolight in Scarf Style), and the color. The yarn feels a bit dry, but I am happy to have found a good use for it, in light of my earlier commitment to knit 20 projects from stash before buying new yarn. Yesterday I picked it up again, after neglecting it for a week or so, chanting “2 repeats a day will keep the doctor away” to myself, and working on it while playing with children and reading blogs. I swear I did at least 2 repeats, it felt more like 4 actually, so can anybody tell me why this stubborn thing persists in showing only just 11 repeats total? Just like 2 weeks ago?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see why you find that scarf annoying to knit (I would too) but it's very beautiful. I love the depth and texture that the stitch pattern has.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

It's beautiful! I will try that...to knit up 20 projects from my stash before buying anything else...but there's always something else I "need-to-have"!

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf is lovely! and I'm such a horrible example. I have fallen of the yarn diet wagon...but I'm starting the countdown again. 4 days without new yarn...

7:52 PM  
Blogger kelli ann & lorie said...

i love the scarf, benedetta; i think that with certain knitting projects you have to get to a progress X before any progress after that is visible. (there ends my theory)

10:52 PM  
Blogger benedetta said...

Thank you all for the compliments on the red scarf, I managed to finish it, eventually!

Lovely robin, Tracy!

Ciao Francesca, che bello, un'altra sferruzzatrice italiana che legge blogs! io sono di livorno, mi fa molto piacere chiaccherare in italiano

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home