Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Maddalena and her new jackets

As promised, here is Maddalena, on the day of her fifth birthday, modeling Mia with flower of her choice for you. I am glad to report that she wore it happily for most of the morning and seems to like it.




But the real winner was the jacket that Nonna sent her, all the way from Italy!



This was made from some leftovers from a fur coat my grandmother had, and insisted on donating to me when I was in my early twenties. I was (and still am) strongly opposed to the killing of animals for the sake of fashion/status statements, so I never accepted the gift. My mother (a.k.a. Nonna) turned it into a lining for one of her coats and kept all the little bits. At Christmas time she showed them to Maddalena and the girl just could not resist. A fur jacket with knitted sleeves, collar and button-band was very swiftly and skillfully concocted by Nonna and sent over just in time for her birthday.

I wish you could have heard the squeals of delight when Maddalena opened the package and ran her hands over the furry bits. Even my animal-loving soul could not help but smile.

And finally, a rainbow jacket, as asked for. I did not have the time or the inclination to knit one, so I bought this one in the sales. But I have a question: can anybody tell me how this jacket was knitted? I can’t figure out how the wrong side is stripy and the right side is a sort of Fair-Isle. I know is machine knitted, so I am wondering if this effect can only be achieved by machine knitting. The fabric feels thick and heavy, but I do not think this is double knitting. What is it?

6 Comments:

Blogger Stitchy McYarnpants said...

Maddalena is absolutely adorable! She looks like such a lady in the sweater you made her, I love it! I have to say that despite the fact that it's fur, I do think Nonna's jacket is pretty cool. When I was a kid, my mom had a rabbit jacket. I was annoyed that she had a fur coat and wanted to make her feel guilty, so I used to put pieces of lettuce in the pockets all the time to "feed the rabbits".

8:18 PM  
Blogger melanie said...

That Stitchy. She's such a weirdo!

Maddie looks great in her new duds!

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really classy little sweater and beautifully modelled. I've wondered before about those machine knitted sweaters too but can't help you I'm afraid!

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your daughter is so cute in her new duds. I love both of those sweaters. I don't blame you for not making a snowflake sweater. I wouldn't have the patience for it either.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous girl! The Mia, she is Super Fantastic on the Maddalena!

I too feel that there is an exception for 'vintage fur'. People just were not aware. They had the Depression, the War, they were not thinking about the pain of animals raised solely to cruelly kill them for their skins.

But I too rejected the gift of my great-aunt's vintage seal coat. I mean, seal. Just can't do it (and this was before I lived in New York and had the issue of people throwing paint at me, or worse).

Happy 5th to Maddalena!!!!!!!! xoxo Kay

1:59 PM  
Blogger alltangledup said...

as usual last one to the party. happy b-day to maddalena, she's a real cutie just like her mom.

love the nonna sweater.. very chic..

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home