Friday, February 11, 2005

Prendere due piccioni con una fava

Apparently in Italy you do not kill two birds with a stone, you gently capture two pigeons with a fava bean.

That’s how I do it: first I sign up for a class that requires considerable amount of reading through fairly boring early American literature (and I do not mean to be disrespectful, but the diaries of the Pilgrims are not that riveting, even if you happen to live in Plymouth, MA); then I realize that the only time I have for the reading coincides with prime knitting time, after all else is done, between 9 and 11pm.

Luckily I can read and knit simultaneously, but only stocking stitch. Fava bean No.1: Kiri, from Rowan Mag. 28 (sorry, not the much more exciting Kiri shawl designed by Polly). I even have the yarn in stash, Rowan Kid Classic, color Galaxy.

This is as far as I got while reading Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Paine.





I bought this yarn on sale probably a year ago and never even opened the bag. But now that I am knitting it, I discovered how wonderful it feels, so soft and drapey. If I had any spare time, it would be difficult to restrict Kiri it to study time.

And then, my other fava bean is the Red Scarf Project, which has me knitting from stash for one of my 20 Yarn Diet for Charity projects and is itself a charity project (thank you Scottish Lamb, Abby, Kay and Polly for highlighting it for me). This is my portable project to work on when attending children attending gym lessons and similar activities.




The yarn is unknown, from a thrift store, the pattern is Midwest Moonlight from Scarf Style, although you could not know it from this picture. This is the view from the garden at work (remember this, Lis?)
The seals were cavorting underneath, but they were too far for my little camera to make any sense of them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah,that precious knitting time !
Nice projects.Fabulous view !

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benedetta -- my wife Lisa is the one who started the Red Scarf Project, and I just want to thank you for joining in. You're our first official Italian contributor! All the knitters online have been so generous, and we thank you all for helping. Ciao!

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home