Sunday, January 23, 2005

In the midst of the storm….

….what else there is to do but knitting and spinning?

Well, actually, I have not a lot to report. However, Friday I had some news that totally blew away any amount of concentration I can normally muster, so I went to work, accompanied my current traveling project, Clapotis, accomplished next to nothing all day and came home. In my still blank state of mind, wondering whether I should attempt something on China Cloud or keep going on the mindless Clapotis, I started spinning my little rolags. To my surprise, I found that I could not stop, it was just the perfect place to be for me.

This is the result, far from good, but still very rewarding.



I have no idea how long it took to spin the rolags, but eventually they were all gone, so I headed towards the couch to do a couple of rows of Clapotis before bed. And discovered that Clapotis had stayed at work. Now, this would not be a big deal, except that China Clouds and Clapotis share the same 3 needles. Yes, that’s right I only have a pair and a half of No. 7 bamboo needles, so while two are in active use, one holds the project I am not working on. So I was stuck

What could I do but start something else? Amy’s handspun has been waiting very patiently for a couple of months, my hands have been screaming at me that they are cold and demanding new mittens, the storm was about to start. A day and a half later, here we are.



I love this colorway in all its subtle variations and the yarn is very soft and smells delicious. Thank you Amy! As a pattern I used the guidelines from ‘The knitter’s handy book of patterns’, with a longer straight cuff to warm up my wrist and not let snow in. I am also knitting at a tight gauge, dpns no. 5, hoping that it will make for warmer mittens.

Because, believe me, the storm out there is howling!



Giacomo ventured out, could barely stay on his feet (65mph wind), asked for his mask to protect his face from the horizontal snow, but could not endure more than a few minutes.

I wish I had his sense of adventure, when a big snow storm is exciting and fun, an awesome event to be enjoyed to the full!

PS: Yesterdaty I bought myself another pair of no. 7 needles, so as not to abandon China Clouds. We are connected by a very thin thread, the temptation to leave her aside for easier, quicker project is always there.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just getting ready to buy you some needles !
Hello old wheel ! She looks happy and your spinning looks fantastic.Don't aim for smooth,commercial style yarn.Rather,look at Amy's ! Your gloves are looking fab.Such a gorgeous colour.
Giacomo is brave - the foolhardiness of youth ! Stay warm.Knit lots.

:0)

Emma.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home