Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Of dog brushes and carders

Although I have had a spinning wheel for over a year, and learnt to spin about six months ago, my wheel has sat unused for a long timed, due to my inability to prepare fiber in a suitable way. My practice fiber was fine as landscape to a nativity scene, but not for spinning, at least not without some intervention. My books on spinning explained at length the use of carders, then mentioned that they are expensive and that one could start by using a dog brush instead. This coincided with what Emma, the fiber donor suggested. So I went and bought this:



I know, how stupid can I be?

As you can easily imagine, my attempts to card the fiber with this resulted in disaster and I promptly abandoned the whole thing.

Last night finally I overcame my shyness and my feelings of deep inaptitude and showed up at a spinning meeting with my big bag or fiber and asked for help, in particular if somebody could show me how to use carders and where to buy them. Guess what all the nice ladies said to me: My dear, you do not need carders, just use a dog brush!
Only then I was suddenly enlightened: there must be a dog brush that is similar to a carder! Just like these, in fact!



And after last night demo (done on proper carders) from the spinning ladies, and my purchase of the above items today, I can now proudly show you my very first rolags!



Evviva! Evviva!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello darling !

Fab rolags ! You should have asked...

:0)

Emma.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Blogville Ben!!

Keep the beautiful pictures coming!!

xo

Lis

7:09 PM  
Blogger benedetta said...

Emma,
I know, there is just no explanation for my brain-deadness, really! still, meglio tardi che mai...
Thank you for the compliments, I have managed to spin a couple of rolags, if I persist I will have some spinning to show in the future!

Lis, thank you for the warm welcome! I was beginning to wonder when my friends would find me

9:24 PM  
Blogger benedetta said...

India, I could not find other spinners for a long time, I asked local yarn stores and people. Then one day I saw a Spinning Bee advertised in town, I went along and found that the spinning group was meeting every months 2 blocks from my house and had been doing so for years!
As for my woolen spinning, I promise a report soon!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home