Wednesday, January 05, 2005

All the way from....

Uganda! Yes, this beautiful large basket comes all the way from Uganda, via Italy. My sister Elena always surprises me with wonderful presents. She was recently in Africa on a work/vacation and this is one of the many things she brought back. Miraculously, the basket survived two transcontinental trips and arrived intact to Massachusetts.



And guess what I am using for? No, not yarn! Possibly something even better: yarn to be!




This is the fiber I have at my disposition to practice my very rudimentary spinning skills.
Do not ask me any specifics, as I would not know. But I can tell you someone who probably does: Emma, who wrapped her gently used spinning wheel in practice fiber before sending it to me (another of these transcontinental transactions!).

Want to see another use for practice fiber?
How about this Nativity Scene landscaping?




Well, it looks much better with the candles all lit up, believe me, but it has been deemed an extreme fire hazard, and I am forbidden to light them up even just for the time it takes to take a picture.

Anyway, see the first of the three Wise Men to the far left? They are supposed to arrive tomorrow to bring their precious gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh to Baby Jesus. In Italy the Epiphany is celebrated also as the arrival of Befana. Will she come tonight? Will she leave sweets or coal?

2 Comments:

Blogger melanie said...

ohhhhhhhh, sparkly nativity and cushy fibery goodness!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mamma mia! Que albero!

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home