Friday, January 14, 2005

Of cables and dropped stitches and clouds

Remember the “Here and There Scarf” with all those lovely cables all over the place?
Wasn’t it too busy? Yeah, I thought so too.
So I played around a bit and finally decided to go for this:


I know, this looks a bit boring, but I trust that it will turn into a beautiful Clapotis soon. I have just reached the dropped-stitches stage and it is beginning to look more interesting.


The finished ones that I see all over the web are all gorgeous, so I hope mine will be too. Plus, the yarn (details in previous post) is soft and luxurious beyond description: the few lucky ones who have touched it instantly assumed a glazed look and I had to please ask them to give it back to me.
It will be a dream to wear, I can’t wait to wrap myself in it!

As for clouds, I thought I’d show you how far along I am with China Cloud.



Just 2/3 up the back, when I abandoned it last spring. Tonight I took it out to photograph and was struck by how much I still like it. So I will start working on it again, as of NOW

And to keep my motivation high, I have put a close up image on the sidebar!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benedetta--I love the vibrant colors of your China Clouds---is this the colorway in the pattern or did you freelance?

I've got Clapotis on my list too, in fact I was thinking of doing it in that lustrous peach silk you gave me--but I see everyone else doing it in variegated yarns. Hmmm. There's also an 'Old Shale' aka Feather & Fan shoulder shawl in the new issue of Piecework magazine, which would be perfect for the silk. But that leaves me without a Clapotis yarn. Noro Lily? I've got some of that. That actually sounds good. OK, glad we've solved MY questions. xoxo Kay

10:56 PM  
Blogger benedetta said...

Wow Kay, I had not yet finished posting, and you are asking questions..
Dunque, China Cloud: you will not be surprised to hear that Rowan had already discontinued the yarn required, DK Tweed. I had no patience to hunt down discontinued yarn, besides that colorway was a bit drab for me. So I went for the yarn Rowan recommemded for substitution, Rowanspun DK, which has a very different palette. With the help of May Chong, I put togeteher 'my' colors, trying to match at least the spirit of the original ones. As you noticed, much brighter! Rowanspun also has a different feel and weight, I'm not sure how it will work. Hopefully it will be OK.
Glad you figure out your Clapotis dilemma. You could always use the silk for the 'Streaming Leaves' shawl in last summer IK.
Or anything else really. Now I really need to go to bed!

11:27 PM  
Blogger melanie said...

Wow, that China Cloud thing is AMAZING. You'll have to tell me how that works today. I love your little sidebar reminder!

See you soon!

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The clouds are beautiful. Is this your own design?

Colleen
http://subwayknitter.typepad.com

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home