Wednesday, January 19, 2005

The wrong side

Thank you all for all the compliments on my China Cloud.

Just to answer a few questions:
the pattern is by Kaffe Fasset, and was published in the Rowan magzine, No. 28.
There is a thumbnail of the magazine picture if you scroll down to one of the previous entries.
The yarn required was Rowan DK Tweed, now discontinued. I had 3 of the original DK tweed colors in my stash, for the rest I subsituted Rowanspun DK, as suggested by the Rowan website. The Rowanspun palette is much more vivid, and I really like the vibrancy on my version. I do not particularly like the feel and hand of Rowanspun, but now it is too late. On the positive side, the garment will be lighter than the original, which will be fine for an open jacket.

For me it is very rewarding to work on something like this, and I love watching the slow emerging of a new completed cloud, while at the same time dreading the fiddling required to start a new one.
It is impossible to get any rhytm going, no two rows are the same, and one needs to pay attention. As for techniques, I am an inconsistent knitter and I may choose a variety of ways of joining a new color, or I may carry some at the back in some spots .

So, since the last post, I managed to do 12 more rows on China Clouds, not worth taking a picture for posting. My Clapotis also does not deserve new pictures, although to be fair she is doing her best to grow. But it just seems the kind of project that does not show well in progress.

However, I do have a picture for you all.

Warning: it has caused knitters to gasp and cover their eyes, just like I would do watching a scary movie...



The wrong side of China Clouds.

8 Comments:

Blogger melanie said...

Hey lady. I'm sick. AGAIN.

I'm going to stay home tonight, so have fun at Borders and hopefully I'll see you soon.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the colors you chose for china cloud.

maryse @ http://morici.typepad.com/bag_n_trash

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a tip I learned from my one & only Kaffe project: think of sewing in the ends as a separate WIP. You do the knitting, and feel all proud, and then you proceed to sewing in the ends as a separate act of devotion to craft. It's great t.v. work and a good rest for your knitting-tired hands. I read an interview with Kaffe where he said he doesn't think you should sew in the ends: just knot them and trim them and let them hang on the inside.

I love you Kaffe but I cannot approve of that method. At all. Especially with wool, since once you weave them in, they will stick that way and the inside will look very tidy forever. Beautiful work, Benedetta, xoxo Kay

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's a lot of ends! The 'proper' side looks absolutely beautiful, though. You have some lovely projects on the needles - I've always liked the Mayqueen dress - very pretty. Will you show a picture of your colours?

Anita
www.champagnebohemian.com

PS. I'm also working on Clapotis (at about the same point as you). It just doesn't seem to be growing either but it feels good to drop those stitches!

7:09 AM  
Blogger benedetta said...

Thank you!
and the mayqueen dress also has a huge number of ends! I will show a photo of it soon, I think, when I have made a little more progress on CC. I like your projects too, such lovely work!

3:03 PM  
Blogger benedetta said...

The above one was for Anita...

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That backside picture of China Cloud - man, I feel your pain. Whew!

It's gorgeous, though. You should be proud.
-Sandy J
http://www.burnt-orange.org/weblog

12:31 PM  
Blogger alltangledup said...

It's gorgeous but when you turn it over, it does look really, really scary. Intarsia is amazing but the sewing like Kay says is a whole new project.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home