Friday, January 28, 2005

A week worth of ….NOTHING

This past week we have all been home all week, schools closed due to inclement weather and work closed to power outage and subsequent bursting of all pipes.

While my husband has won the award of most conscientious shoveler (sp?) of the year, and the children have been building snow fort upon snow fort, fought glorious battle fuelled entirely by snowballs of all shapes and sizes, alternating with TV binges of epic proportions, what have I to report?

Next to nothing! I can’t tell you how frustrating this is for me. A whole week off from work sucked into nothingness, with no possible explanation.

My notable accomplishments of the week can be summarized thus: a) Monday, took a long and luxurious bath, with home-made exfoliating treatment; b) Wednesday, baked a delicious chocolate cake that my children actually eat and like even without tons of frosting on top; c) Thursday, managed to sign up and attend a couple of classes at the local college. This is it, people, just pitiful.
I normally am pretty active. But now I am just restless.



Knitting wise, it’s not much better: I finished my gloves this morning. This actually feels great, not only the gloves are lovely, they are the first result from the Yarn Diet for Charity endevour.





And finished the back of China Clouds a couple of nights ago.






Today I am pondering Mia, from Junior Knits by Debbie Bliss.





As you can see, there are 2 yarn possibilities here, none of which is really right.
The turquoise Two.Two was the yarn I had in mind for this project all along, but it turns out that I would have to adjust the pattern from the required gauge of 4 ½ st/inch to 3 st/inch. That is a pretty big adjustment. However, the pattern has virtually no shaping, so it should not be too difficult to rework. But will Mia then turn out ok? Not sure.

The other yarn from stash, Rowan DK Tweed (discontinued), is closer in gauge (5 st/inch) but I do not know if I want the tweedy look (and feel) for Mia. I might have to dig deeper in the stash and explore other possibilities. In the meantime, I’d appreciate any advice, knitterly and otherwise.

5 Comments:

Blogger melanie said...

Finished mittens and back of China Cloud! this sounds like a perfectly acceptable level of accomplishment to me. Looking after two little monsters for a whole week without the benefits of work and school is time-consuming, and I'm quite sure it is also energy-draining. I, for one, am impressed.

Rowan Tweed = scratchy paper feel. Blech. Go for Two Two!

8:59 AM  
Blogger pjjhowe said...

hi benedetta: it's me, Phyllis from New York. the person whose home you were at and who you brought the wonderful fig and almond preserve to - forgive the bad grammar.
I love your blog and it's on my favorite lists. Here's my thought for the mia jacket - have you considered alpaca? or a blend of merino and alpaca? the other yarn to take a look at is Odyssey Merino (from reynolds) you could probably make the gauge on that - and i just finished a sweater for my 2 year old nephew that is divine. I love it! anyway, welcome to the world of blogging. Come read me sometime - I'm not good about posting pictures all the time since I have an antique digital camera which I soon have to replace, but i tend to write anyway. My address is on kay's site. When are you coming to new York again? Be sure to let us know - our home is always open to you - for overnights as well as visits. (We have an extra room right now since Alex is away at school - so do consider it if you come in for a buying trip or a visit.)
Warmest thoughts!!!
Phyllis howe
Knittingandhowe

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woops - I forgot. I think your accomplishments this week were something to write home about - registering and attending classes? finishing up china cloud back? give me a break!! you're amazing!

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for your mittens! And clouds is beyond stunning. I made a vase with an asian cloud pattern etched into it once. It was probably my favorite thing I ever did in pottery. Can't wait to see more!

Abby (aka knitlette)

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a Dog Apparel site. It pretty much covers ##Coats for Dogs## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home