Monday, February 28, 2005

So, what did I do all last week?

Well, I do not really want to go into details, it would be boring. But the picture is an accurate representation of how incoherent and scattered I felt most of the time, trying to attend a million tasks simultaneously.



Unfortunately, the yarn brain* is not representative of the amount of knitting I did, just the sorry (but colorful) state of my mind.

This week should be a bit better, since one major source of stress last week was a one-time type of event, and it’s gone.

Knitting did occur, but results are unexciting, the Red Scarf is past midpoint (just), the back and half the front of Kiri are done, few paltry rows of China Cloud managed to creep on the needles

Spinning, however, worked best for when I was feeling overwhelmed, and I have managed to produce the off-white ball of yarn you see on the left, so that I can rise to the challenge for the HHHC, my spinning guild, and knit the historically accurate little Pilgrim purse all out of my handspun yarn. The dark yarn is actually a reddish purple that I spun a few months ago.



Please do not ask technical questions, all I know is that probably all fiber was Merino, and I made it into 2-ply yarn. I will knit the purse tightly, partly because the pattern requires it, partly to hide some of the yarn many imperfections. Maggie has already finished hers, following a different, more historically accurate pattern, and it’s so pretty!

I am going to leave you with this:

Our Family Totem



Can you spot all the fiber projects on it?

* "yarn brain" is a copyright of Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably: according to what Brandon told us at a workshop, they leave all the ends from their various project in a big basket, and then pull out strands for inspirations for other projects. I am trying to learn from my betters, but can’t say it works for me yet!

2 Comments:

Blogger melanie said...

hee hee, yarn brain. I love it!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the yarn brain, and didn't realize there was a name for that. I put all my ends in a big glass canning jar so anytime the kids want a piece of yarn they can just go to the jar instead of getting into my stash. Preventative measures, a help-yourself solution, and it looks pretty on the bookshelf, too.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home