Friday, May 27, 2005

La Bella e la Bestia

Beauty …

It is true knitting has been scarce lately, but I have some progress to show for the pretty silk ribbon yarn.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It is difficult to show sweater-in-progress when they are made in one piece, since they are all bunched up on the needles and holders. This one goes side to side, and I am a bit over 60% done.

Bello questo nastro, vero? Let’s call this ribbon Bella. Bella has an annoying habit: endless twisting and coiling on herself.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I need to keep the working ball in a small Ziploc type bag, with only a little section open, and tug it out little by little and every few stitches, let it dangle to uncoil. Not conducive to quick knitting.


and the Beast …


A very beastly beast, a raw Jacob fleece, landed on my doorstep yesterday. Warning for Melanie: hold your nose!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One piece of this is actually the cat, rolling on her back, ecstatic at the new sensory experience.
And here is a close-up, to see all the colors.

I have no idea how to deal with this beast.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hot water, to dissolve the grease, small batches, Dawn dish soap, very little movement, and lots and lots of water. You can call me if you want more details.
julia fc

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh, just keep it on the floor! Sheep Skin Rug!

~melanie

9:48 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

beautiful top!! Can't wait to see it finished! I actually love the color toO!
The fleece will be beautiful blended together after it's washed up. I'll wash it for you anytime ;o))

9:47 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Well, what I did with my last Jacob fleece is put big pieces of it in mesh bags and washed it in hot water and Tide in the washer (um...no agitation SVP). I'd be happy to expound further so that you can compare methods.

Then, in order to keep the cool colors separated, I handcarded the entire thing. Again, if you want to know more, let me know. Eventually I spun it up, Navajo plied it and had extremely cool yarn.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home