Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Colorful ribbons

A couple of entries ago, I mentioned I wanted to knit the Side to Side Ribbon Pullover , and I was considering buying the recommended yarn, Berroco Zen.

Well, the plan has changed, after precious advice from the ribbon expert Subway Knitter. I started chanting ribbon ribbon ribbon until a couple of neuron connected in my brain and I remembered the silk ribbon I had stashed, another amazing gift from my mother. It is Garza di Organzino, all the way from Florence.

Amazingly, I did a mini swatch (I do not have much to spare, if any), and the gauge was ok. So I got started and here is the beginning of a sleeve.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It is a very unusual yarn to work with, very dry, slippery and clingy at the same time, and I have to be careful not to poke my needle through it. It does not seem to drape much, which might be a concern for this pattern. And in case it does not work, I’m kind of stuck, because Garza does not unravel well (I unraveled part of the swatch and it looked all crinkly).

But the shimmering colors are so beautiful, and the ribbon is so light and smooth. I really do hope the top will turn out ok!

On other news, my Mizar sock has progressed past the heel and it looks very pretty, but way too small for me. That’s ok, I still enjoy knitting it and I will easily find a worthy recipient somewhere. It was such an impulse project, never stopped to consider any measurements, so I am not disappointed.

Actually, I am disappointed, but by something else entirely: I broke my yarn diet! And I did it in the most stupid way possible: after an exhausting day at the zoo, I stopped at an unknown-to-me yarn store with two overtired children and a fried brain, looked all around, saw nothing special, went to the sale bin and bought a whole lot of cotton that I have no need for, no special liking for and was not especially a good buy (well, it was a good buy, but nothing that could not be passed up). My only excuse is that the salesperson glared at me the whole time, so I thought I’d better buy something. I am planning to return it, but the store is way out of my way. Maybe at the weekend.

One last thing: like other have said, Blogger comments will not give an email address for whoever has left a comment, and if you do not have a Blogger account, I do not even know your name. So I can’t answer all your very nice comments as I’d like to. As they say, I apologize for any inconvenience, I wish it was easier to get back to all of you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm. That is a really gorgeous color!

You could always try to sell that yarn on your blog, if driving up to the yarn store is too much trouble.

Colleen
subwayknitter[at]yahoo[dot]com

9:00 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Somewhat late on this, but that Humbug sweater is really cute! I guess the question is, would you wear it without anything on underneath.

;-)

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I was just thinking about disappointment and knitting. I just finished Asta, a lot of knitting, and it didn't fit me the way I wanted it to. But here's the thing: I didn't have even a moment of dismay. Really. It was great fun to work that pattern, and the sweater turned out well, and it left me with the conclusion that knitting for me has become this neverending process. It's the process even more than the product that interests me. That's a big change from when I first started knitting, when all I wanted was the THING I was making. This is very liberating!

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home