Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A grand day out

Well, afternoon, evening, night, whatever! Yes, you have already read about it, it’s all over the web, along with Wendy’s signature belly, and yes it’s all true! We had so much fun! It was really hard to leave early and I regret missing the funnest* part, involving dexterous use of Sharpies and who knows what else. While the extra batteries came with me, my camera stayed at home, so no pictures here. Except to show off the fantastic yarn I got in the swap.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And just as well I got it and nobody attempted to swap with me, or it would have turned ugly; because this is just the perfect yarn for me, my color and my yarn philosophy all in one (check it out at Sweet Grass Wool). In fact, I remember growling at Melanie for even looking mildly interested in it.

Anyway, thank you Debbie for hosting us, and Melanie, for getting us organized, and Maryse, Elisa and Wendy for such a great evening. I never imagined that being a knitter would evolve in such a social and fun thing.

This brings me to my next point, something I have been ruminating for a while. I have been knitting for over 20 yrs, and have always enjoyed it. However, it is only in the last couple of years that knitting has changed from just a past-time, an activity to keep my hands busy and productive (I have to have an item at the end of it, the process itself is not enough for me), to an active interest. And that is all because of the knitting community on the web, which has opened up my eyes not only to different techniques and patterns and yarns, but to the people involved with knitting. Now, I can’t figure why it happens that the knitters I meet online and in person are invariably amazing, fun, interesting people, compared to the people I may meet in other settings. I know it is not just for their knitting. I mean, the knitting is cool, but the web knitters/bloggers are the stars, by a long way.

So when I was reading Colleen’s post a few days ago, talking about the motivation behind the ‘new’ knitters and wondering if they’ll keep knitting when its novelty and popularity wears off, I found myself thinking ‘never mind the knitting, it’s the blogging community that I hope will still be there in 10 years time’. I know there will always be knitters, somewhere. But what if blogging goes out of fashion and we’ll all get out of touch? That is what worries me, knitting in a vacuum, again….with not even a Sharpie in sight!!


*my spellchecker tells me this is not a real world, but my children use it all the time, so I have now officially adopted it. I mean, my spellchecker does not even recognize blog as a real word, so how reliable can it be?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funnest????

I would never have really taken that yarn from you, you were too obviously fond of it.

I agree on all said re: amazing knit bloggers - I just keep finding more and more of them. I'm sure if ever the blog thing goes to the dogs, the friends will remain...

~melanie

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it should be a word. Is there a rule or pattern that keeps the "est" suffix from working? She writes, and then runs off to ask Matt the editor about this...

[Sorry, but it made me think.]

Blogging is a lot of fun, and a way to change what can be a very solitary activity into something quite social. I think that blogging will be around in ten years, but it will have morphed and adapted into something quite different by then. Think of how much the internet has changed in the last 10 years, and I assume it will change just that much in the next.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Bookish Wendy said...

I'm so sorry you missed the belly signing! We pulled out the sharpie's as we were leaving...next time. ;)

I'm more than thrilled that the yarn found a good home. It was purchased at Circles in JP.

You rock Ben! What would Ben do?!

10:55 AM  
Blogger kelli ann & lorie said...

i agree with you, benedetta, that the web has added a whole new angle on "knitting circles" (GLOBAL knitting circles) and the potential for crafting to bring about social change.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benedetta, you put this so well. We can all keep knitting in our separate spots regardless of trends and fads, but I would hate to lose the blogging chat.

I hope blogging is not in any danger of going out of style. xoxo Kay

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gasp!
i have been looking for yarn in that colorway (well, in those colors) for going on four months now. thank you for inadvertently solving my yarn quest! if you don't mind my asking, are you now the proud owner of the 'rosehip' or the 'ruby river' colorway? (because god forbid any more time pass before i own my own lovelies!)
cheers!
*heather

4:52 PM  
Blogger benedetta said...

Heather, it's Ruby River.
Isn't it just gorgeous?

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you! gorgeous (or really any other adjective i can come up with) doesn't do it justice ... off to order some of my own and i can't wait to see what yours turns into!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home