Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Finally some green...

Snow has melted and grass is tentatively greening, with some interspersed crocuses. Daffodils are about to burst out in color. Every year spring seems to start so very slowly; yes, the sun is out more and the days are longer, but almost everything is still brown and gray. Until some pre-ordained, but undisclosed day sometime in late April, when I wake up and spring has literally sprung overnight, and everything is green, exhuberant, lovely and bright new!
I did not know the meaning of seasons until I moved to New England, trite but true. In Italy, there were seasons, but much less extreme. In Scotland, there were no seasonal landmarks, apart from the great variation in day lenghth; it was constantly windy and wet, and always green ( I apologize to my Scottish friends, and fully realize that my perception is/was heavily distorted by having being brought up on the Mediterranean shores, but still!)
Now that I have learned to appreciate the seasonal changes, and somewhat to resign to the inevitability of it all, my ideal world would feature a Fall lasting about 4 weeks, Winter 2 weeks (snow optional), Spring and Summer for the rest of the year.

Anyway, in my current quest for easy (read stocking stitch) knitting to accompany me in my study/reading enforced binges, when I saw the new Rowan Magazine, my eye landed on Humbug. Easy, fun, and I already had some Summer Tweed in stash.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And yes, it's green! New grass green, Salad green in fact! That can't hurt in the current climate, now, can it?


PS: the Salad color of Summer Tweed has been discontinued, in case you wondered.
PPS: I have not put Kiri together yet, hopefully this weekend I'll make a chunk of time for it, and then there will be photos.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you: Spring and summer all year round, with a few weeks of fall and winter.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

You could come to Texas, where there is 6 weeks of Spring (with Tornado warnings), 5 months of Summer (heat stroke and air conditioning) 4 weeks of Fall, 4 1/2 months of cool, with random deposits of ice.
Your description of Scotland makes it sound like Seattle.

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deeeeelish! I love that color, Ben. Matches the grass in these parts. And Summer Tweed is one of my favorites.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home