Saturday, August 20, 2005

Growing pains

Today I bought a new car.

I feel that something is not quite right. How can it be that I am now in the position to do such a big, grown–up thing? And on top of that, it is a much bigger and newer car than what I thought I wanted/needed/was suitable to my needs.

This feeling is very similar to what I feel still when I walk up the street to my house: do I really own that lovely, large house? How come? (and I have only been living there for four years…)

Somehow, something tells me that my house and my car really should belong to somebody respectable and together, like my aunt. For my part, I just can’t get over it. I mean, I have not learned yet to do all the other stuff, wear make-up and work clothes, keep my hair in some shape, keep house etc. I have never outgrown my poor student mentality, a rusty bicycle and a cramped apartment, shared with a bunch of noisy room-mates. A new car? Really? For me?

The whole thing is very confusing. Time to go knitting and center myself again. Before school starts all over again.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so very with you on this matter.
julia fc

2:43 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

It's one of those "how did I go from keeping all my clothes in milk crates to having furniture?" kinds of moments.

What kind of car did you buy?

10:36 AM  
Blogger soapy said...

must be contagious my husband and I both got news cars well his a truck me a car and 2 of my neighbors too in the past couple weeks!! Congrats! You'll adjust and get used to it I'm sure

Enjoy it!

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ciao da una "crafty" italiana arrivata qui per caso di link in link :)

10:55 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

see, you're a parent. i think that trumps car and house ownership for being a grown-up.

i can wear make-up and own a car and i actually owned a home on my own for awhile, but i'm not so sure i'm grown-up enough to be a parent.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home