Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Small things, big things

Today the mail brought me many new toys, some for knitting and some for school. And they are not totally unrelated. Here is the story.

For knitting, I got the new Rowan book, No. 38. While I do not care much for most of the patterns in it, that fact that it was actually delivered to me first time around was a personal victory. I have been a Rowan International member for probably over 10 years, but, in the last 4 years, not one issue has been delivered to me without further solicitation, until today.

Two summers ago, the wait proved, for some reason, particularly excruciating: I’d come home hot, tired from work, having to attend alone to children and house (my husband must have been away somewhere), and would look hopeful inside the mail box for some respite: my new Rowan, about which everybody on the Rowan forum was raving.

And everyday, I’d find only bills etc. And everyday I’d get grumpier!

After two weeks of this, while opening once again an empty mailbox, I straightened my back and had a sudden realization: if my happiness depends so heavily on the arrival of a knitting magazine, something here is wrong.

The next thought was: that’s it, I am going to quit my job and go back to school. I want to become a homeopathic vet.

So today, aside from the new Rowan, I also got some school books, a cell phone and a digital voice recorder. Tomorrow I’ll go buy some notebooks and pencils.

Vet school starts Monday!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a digital recorder at work; they're so cool.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't get that Rowan 38. Congrats on your new venture!

7:31 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

Those digital recorder will sure come in handy for school. I remember I couldn't live without it!! I wish you the best! I recieved my Rowan book too! Amazing, too! I was disappointed didn't care much of it. I think I may knit a pair of gloves though....nay maybe only maybe 1 sweater. Happy school shopping with you and the kids!

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so exciting ! A brave,fantastic decision. It's always good to follow your heart and your dreams. I hope you really enjoy it.

xxx

7:59 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

don't forget -- you have a place to crash if you get caught in the snow. milford isn't too far from grafton.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home