Monday, September 04, 2006

Thank you...and something else

Thank you all very much for your love and support. It really means a lot to me.

Tomorrow it will be just one month since my mother's death; it feels like something far and unreal, and something close and intimate, all at the same time. A time far out of mind, to quote a line I was just reading yesterday.

Tomorrow we'll say a special prayer for her.

In the meantime, life goes on in its usual hectic fashion. Vet School has restarted, kids school has started, both rented and owned houses were neglected over the summer and now need to be sorted out somehow.

Finally, knitting goodies had gathered themselves on the doorstep; some were unexpected and very welcome presents, some were exchange gifts, also very welcome, most were magazines and books that had been ordered before leaving for Italy.

At first sight, my absolute favorite pattern from the new crop was the hexagon coat in Knitting Nature. So much so that I had even a dream of being trapped under a flood of yarn, while searching for the right shade for it. Anyway, on my way to retrieve my pet turtle Sam, I happened to pass a yarn store with a big SALE sign on the window. This store, to be specific (the one with no chairs). I wandered in, looking for the Lite Lopi for my coat, I saw no mark downs anywhere, so I stuck to my plan to have a look at the Lopi color cards, and possibly order some.

For the record, my yarn shopping in the last couple of years has been very limited, since my stash, accumulated over many years, feels already a bit overwhelming, and I would rather use it up little by little, then accumulate some more. My LYS on the South Shore sees me only when I need a pair of needles, usually. But I felt I could derange a bit for something that even haunted my dreams.

However, I was quibbling about the Lite Lopi, the shade was not entirely convincing, I said I'd recheck the book and call them. At that point the yarn store lady said very casually: "Sure! By the way, today all the summer yarns are 50% off" My eyes went big:"Even the Rowan yarns?" "Yes, all that has some cotton in it, basically these three walls of stuff".

And guess what? I did end up trapped under a flood of yarn! And some of it even came home with me...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Manos Cotton, Jaeger Trinity and Classic Elite Star, pinks, greens, blues. All lovely. (Yes, I know, no Rowan, it was a test for the sales lady more than anything else).

I am not proud, but I am happy-er.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy Yarn. Webs has Lopi on sale periodically....

Have you read The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion? I'm reading it right now and truly enjoying it. It is about her grieving process after the death of her husband. It's a beautiful book...

9:25 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

you didn't leave anything, did you.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yarn therapy!!! I love the Manos cotton but haven't knitted with it... yet.

1:37 AM  
Blogger soapy said...

of course yarn shopping makes you feel better especially those sales! ;o)

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ben

Glad the yarn is helping. Tomorrow will be 2 months since my Dad died so I know very well the unreal sensation you describe. I haven't done much yarn shopping but I have taken comfort in a whole lot of knitting. It helps I find :0)

Take care.

x

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home